Thursday 28 July 2011

Why a boat?

The inspiration to build a boat out of wood has come from spending so much time at Lindsay’s family Cottage on the Trent Severn Waterway.  I am always awe struck when I come across a classic looking boat.  I love the way the urethane wood glistens in the sunlight.  I love the curves of a wood boat and the look of the shining stainless-steel hardware against the background of a Mahogany coloured deck.  My dream boat is a 25 ft. Chris Craft Barrel Back, much like the one in the photo.  I want to build one myself; but it turns out I do not really have any idea how to build one. 

A very close family member of mine always reminds me that I can only achieve in proportion to what I attempt.  Some people set goals of learning how to bake muffins, or finish a book they started, and feel dissatisfied when they finish because their goals were mediocre.   I am going to achieve my dream of building a boat because I am setting the bar high.    

I am going to learn the concepts of building a boat before I tackle a 25 ft. boat.  To do this, I have settled on building a “small” boat.  The design is the “Squirt” from the Glen L Marine Company.  The Squirt is a 10ft runabout with room for two.   It is made on a Douglas fir frame with marine ply forming the hull and sides.   The top decking will be two-toned Mahogany strip planking.  The boat can support up to a 25HP short-shaft motor (no jokes…. please), but is designed for about 10HP.  I will be making some small modifications, mostly just extending the boat by 1 ft. to add a little more leg room for the passengers.


I estimate that this project will take about 300 hours.  I know that I am super busy, but I am going to make it a priority.  I would like to have the boat complete by the end of Summer 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment